On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 02:59:09PM -0400, Jon Gabriel wrote:
> >From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Clarke To Address Los Alamos Space-Elevator Conference
> >Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:53:53 -0500
> >
> >http://www.spacedaily.com/news/materials-03za.html
> >

> *shudder*
>
> Somebody at Los Alamos better read KSR's Mars trilogy before they build
> that thing.  A single well-aimed ballistic missile would leave elevator
> parts killing thousands or millions as they descended at 1000+ mph all over
> the planet.  A space elevator would need advanced missile defense systems,
> tightly controlled airspace and a battallion of troops at both anchor
> points at the very least.

That's not a problem if you build it as a very thin ribbon, as several
others gave references for here previously (I guess you missed that
thread?).

The real problem is making the material. So far, no one has made
any significant lengths of it and tested it to see if it behaves as
predicted.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/