George wrote:
> I just received my periodic SFBC mailing. Two things of note:
[snip]
> Second, in one of the many additional flyers included in the package,
there
> are two omnibus editions of B5 novels.  One is "The Passing of the
> Techno-Mages" by Jeanne Cavelos (contains: "Casting Shadows",
"Summoning
> Light", and "Invoking Darkness."
>
> The other is Peter David's "Legions of Fire" ("The Long Night of
Centauri
> Prime", "Armies of Light and Dark", and "Out of the Darkness").  Are
either
> of these two trilogies worth reading?

The three books in Jeanne Cavelos' Technomage trilogy is among the very best of
the B5 novels. I wasn't as impressed by Peter David's trilogy, which surprised me
because I'm generally a very big Peter David fan. Others have liked that trilogy
quite a lot, but it just didn't work as well for me as either the Technomage trilogy
or Greg Keyes' PsiCorps trilogy. As far as getting them from the SFBC...

The Fool wrote:
The SFBC is a scam.  You get sub-quality books that are smaller than the
same book you would get at the bookstore.

SFBC and other book clubs like it typically do not use acid-free paper which means
the books will yellow and deteriorate much faster than a good hardback edition.
They will often leave out author's forwards or afterwards, and use cheap binding
processes as well. They are ok if you like to throw your books away after you
read them, but in general I wouldn't recommend any book club like this.

Similar things hold true for most record/CD clubs. You usually don't get any of
the liner notes and any paper inserts you get are usually poorly printed on poor
quality paper. It's hard to screw up a CD, so the actual recordings are fine, but
I've heard from some people that even the plastic used for the cases is of lesser
quality and often becomes brittle and breaks more easily than the cases of CDs
purchased from retail outlets including online stores. YMMV, of course.

Reggie Bautista