Julia Thompson wrote:

> Catherine:
> We just liked the name, and there were a number of options for nicknames
> from it, so we could pick one to suit her personality once we had a feel
> for it.  As it is, my mother is calling her "Cathy", I'm calling her
> "Catherine", and Dan is using one or the other, depending.  It just
> struck me that there was something about her when I first held her that
> demanded the respect of using her full name.  :)  I may get over that at
> some point, though.

        My eldest is a Catherine.  She likes it for the most part,
although she did wish that her name was Sally (!) when she was five.
We were afraid of nicknames with diminutives, since one can be stuck
with those as an adult.  (Take "Julie", for instance...  : )  )
So we went with "Cate".  Of course a lot of people spell it wrong.
But when they spell it right, you know it must be her.  Now I usually
say "like Cate Blanchett", but maybe I'm a bigger fan than others.
        Our other children are Corbin, and an Alexandra who goes
by Sawny.

                                        ---David

Unique names are good(?).