From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Racism
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:18:17 -0500

Jon Gabriel wrote:

> >From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Racism
> >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:56:46 -0400
> >
> >On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:50:54AM -0400, Jon Gabriel wrote:
> >
> > > Cute, but the name would still be offensive to Native Americans.
> > >
> > > Personally, I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that the judge
> > > ruled against them.
> >
> >What law are they breaking by naming their sports team "Redskins"?
>
> The judge said they weren't, but the Federal law in question was established
> in 1946 and prohibits the gov't from registering a trademark disparaging any
> race, religion or other group.

The football team has been around with that name for longer than that.

Huh. I didn't realize that.

Was there some provision for retro-activity on it?

Have no clue. A search of some of the most recent net articles didn't say either. Imo, that's a very interesting legal point!!

I did find this site: http://aistm.org/1indexpage.htm which covers Native American Sports Team Mascots and might have some info of interest. Unfortunately, their webmasters probably aren't colorblind: I have a lot of trouble concentrating on and reading red text on a black background and didn't explore past the index.

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com