On 2 Nov 2003 at 10:34, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> --- Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I imagine that a number of white people in Texas who
> > own guns would have
> > something to say about this....
> >
> >     Julia
>
> I would imagine that a number of black and Hispanic
> people in Texas who own guns would have something to
> say about this as well.  Genocide is much harder to
> conduct against an armed populace, as the Founders
> well understood.

Actually, it's easier.

The common people, frankly, are not soldiers. They are not trained. A
regular amy unit will roll over them.

An Army unit ordered to kill unarmed civilians will very likely NOT
follow that order in a Western (and I include the post-USSR former
soviet states in that) Nation, but if they are fired on they WILL
return fire.

And I simply don't believe Heinlien's "An armed society is a polite
society". It's "An armed society is a TENSE (or maybe stressed)
society"

I can see and agree with the need for guns to be carried in Israel.
But not America.

Andy
Dawn Falcon