<<http://www.wftv.com/education/2604761/detail.html>>

Halloween Costume Gets Osceola H.S. Student Suspended

POSTED: 10:15 a.m. EST November 3, 2003
UPDATED: 10:56 a.m. EST November 3, 2003

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Osceola High School administrators thought a student's
Halloween costume was more trick than treat. So they suspended her.

 SURVEY
Do you agree with the high school's decision to suspend the student for
her halloween costume?
Yes, it was inappropriate
No, it was a good PSA

Results  |  Disclaimer

Lanessa Riobe, 16, was told to go home Friday after wearing a T-shirt
decorated with condoms. Lanessa said she decided on the costume after
seeing safe-sex commercials on television.

 Not strange enough? Read more strange news from WFTV.com.

"A lot of my friends are sexually active," Riobe told the Orlando
Sentinel. "I tell them, if you're going to do it, be safe."

Riobe taped condoms to a white T-shirt and began passing them out to her
classmates. Her first-period teacher alerted school administrators, who
sent her home with a three-day suspension for class disruption. They also
said she had an insolent attitude.

Osceola High principal Chuck Paradiso later reduced the suspension to one
day.

"This is not acceptable," he said. "This is something you don't do in a
public school."

Ribose's mother, Melissa, supported her daughter's decision, and even
helped her get the condoms for the costume.

"Sex can be deadly and people need to know that," Melissa Riobe said. "I
just can't believe they suspended her for doing something good."