Justice Brown, if confirmed, would be the 11th Judge on the D.C. Circuit.
Sens. Charles Grassley, Jon Kyl, and Jeff Sessions voted in favor of her
nomination yesterday. But in 1997, opposing President Clinton's nominee to the D.C.
Circuit, citing the D.C. circuits relatively low caseload, Sen. Grassley said "I
can confidently conclude that the D.C. circuit does not need 12 judges or
even 11 judges.<A
HREF="http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?position=all&amp;page=S2522&amp;dbname=1997_record";>
 Filling either of these two seats would just be a waste of
taxpayer money</A> -- to the tune of about $1 million per year for each seat." Senator
Kyl added "...Grassley and Sessions have made sound arguments that the<A
HREF="http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?position=all&amp;page=S2522&amp;dbname=1997_record";>
 D.C.
Circuit does not need to fill the 11th seat</A>. Their arguments are reasonable and
not based upon partisan considerations. Similarly, my concerns with the Garland
nomination are based<A
HREF="http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?position=all&amp;page=S2522&amp;dbname=1997_record";>
 strictly on the caseload requirements of the circuit</A>,
not on partisanship or the qualifications of the nominee." But, since 1997,<A
HREF="http://www.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/cmsa2002.pl";> the
case load of the D.C. Circuit has declined</A> from 1531 appeals filed in 1997 to
1126 appeals filed in 2002.

Tom Beck
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"Man is the only animal who blushes. Or needs to." - Mark Twain