At 10:02 AM 11/13/2003 -0600 Julia Thompson wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, The Fool wrote:
>
>> > From: John D. Giorgis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> >
>> > JDG - Who wonders if he should be proud in some sense that those who
>> you
>> > use code words for anti-Catholic bigotry aren't immediately driven out
>> of
>> > the public forum.
>>
>> What code words?  What exactly are you talking about?  Are you drunk or
>> high?
>
>I'd guess tired, based on the time stamp of his original post.
>
>*I* sure am....
>
>       Julia
>
>but JDG doesn't have my particular excuse, then again, I'm tired at
>10AM...

No, I definitely don't have your excuse Julia --- not yet anyways.    Then
again, I'm statistically unlikely to ever have twins alongside another
young one, so I guess that you've got me beat.  :)

But anyhow, tiredness didn't actually play into my above post.    I was
alluding to the fact that two football commentators, Rush Limbaugh and
Gregg Easterbrook, lost their jobs this year under accusations of using
code words for racism and anti-Semitism, respectively.   In at least the
case of the former, many List Members agreed that use of code words was an
appropriate reason for driving someone out of the public sphere of commentary.

Given that The Fool was trotting out the old codewords for anti-Catholicism
in this country, namely that Catholics are all in hock to orders of the
Pope, it seemed like an apt anaology.

JDG