Dan Minette wrote:

> As for South America, my uncle talked a lot about the relatively low
> attendance at his parish.  I'm guessing slightly more than 1% went to
> church.  "Muy Catolico, pero no fanatico."

That's true here in Rio de Janeiro. About 70% of the population
claims to be Catholic, but of these maybe 5% go the the Church
even eventually. The huge majority only goes to Church to
attend weddings and 7th-day mass.

And, of course, even those that go to Church regularly don't
give a damn about any RCC regulation that would limit their
pleasures: they don't eat meat on the Easter Friday, but they
may chose that day to do an abortion.

Alberto Monteiro