When Asthma Attacks
 A new report from Clean the Air reveals that the ill-conceived energy bill,
should it be enacted into law, would have<A
HREF="http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2003/11/20/news/02energybzbigs.txt";>
 severe public health consequences</A>
around the country â especially for children. At issue is a little noticed
provision in the massive legislation that would "<A
HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/20/national/20POWE.html?pagewanted=print&amp;position=";>delay
 for years</A> pollution
reductions needed to achieve ozone smog clean air standards in the dirtiest areas" by
allowing "communities with unhealthy air quality...to point the finger at
pollution sources outside their borders." On three separate occasions federal
courts have ruled the practice illegal. The study shows that delays in
implementing the Clean Air Act would lead to 4,900 hospitalizations due to respiratory
illness, 387,400 asthma attacks and over 573,000 missed school days each year.
Some areas of the country would be<A
HREF="http://cta.policy.net/reports/na_slippage.pdf?PROACTIVE_ID=cecfcfcbc8cec9c9c6c5cecfcfcfc5cececccdccc9cbc7c9c6c5cf";>
 particularly hard hit</A>. In Pennsylvania
non-attainment of ozone standards would lead to more than 47,000 missed school
days, more that 34,000 asthma attacks and more than 440 hospital admissions for
respiratory illness. Ohio: 29,000 lost school days, 20,000 asthma attacks, 287
hospital admission. Virginia: 15,000 lost school days, 11,000 asthma attacks,
129 hospital admissions. (Find out the impact in your state<A
HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/20/national/20POWE.html?pagewanted=print&amp;position=";>
 HERE</A>. Skeptical?
Review the methodology of the study, conducted by the nation's leading air
pollution consultants,<A
HREF="http://cta.policy.net/reports/ozone_rollback_methodology.pdf?PROACTIVE_ID=cecfcfcbc8cec9c7cec5cecfcfcfc5cececccdccc9cacacbc7c5cf";>
 HERE</A>.)Â

Tom Beck
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I don't think we're in any danger of Johnnie Cochrane defending Michael
Jackson..."