On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Deborah Harrell wrote:

> I've had something that *purported* to be haggis at a local Scottish
> festival, but it was made with rice instead of oatmeal, and I think it
> was lamb instead of mature sheep; in addition it wasn't boiled in a
> sheep's stomach... It tasted like very bland 'dirty rice,' which is a
> Cajun dish made of various giblets/assorted undefined animal
> parts/rice/onions etc.

It sounds like Sammy's favorite lunch is a somewhat cleaner version of
"dirty rice" -- it's rice, red beans, spicy sausage, and some pepper, red
and green.  It's fairly spicy -- when he first asked for a bite of Dan's,
we figured the spiciness would turn him off of it, but he loved it.

Wonder if my having eaten lots of Tex-Mex during pregnancy and lactation
had anything to do with it?  :)

> Almost anything Cajun will taste *quite* spicy to those who don't eat
> Mexican/Thai/Indian/Cajun...I couldn't even find *medium* salsa when I
> worked a couple of near-veggieless months in North Dakota!  Standard
> veggies at people's houses and restaurants in Dickenson: white: potatoes
> (boiled, mashed & fried), cabbage (pickled or boiled), onions (fried or
> boiled), navy beans (boiled with salt and maybe some pepper if the cook
> was adventuresome that day...;} ) and corn (boiled or creamed).  In
> northern Wyoming, they did add baked beans with mild barbeque sauce, and
> canned green beans (boiled for 10 minutes - no seasoning :P ).

Blegh.

I guess the worst I ever had to put up with was being in a diner in New
Hampshire and finding out that, when you're used to salsa with your eggs,
ketchup and black pepper *really* don't cut it.

I can't stand canned green beans.  I want mine fresh or frozen.  (Frozen
are somewhat easier, don't have to wash them or cut them at any point
along the way, so that's what I tend to do, but my mother-in-law was
fixing fresh ones when she was visiting, and that was a nice treat for
me.)

> Spice Girl Maru  ;)

Have you been around any time I posted the taco soup recipe?  :)

        Julia