When I saw the subject line, I was wondering who had ordered a blackout of science fiction . . .

At 12:28 PM 12/21/03, Robert Seeberger wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031221/D7VIRKI00.html

Crews were restoring power to thousands of homes and businesses early Sunday
following a blackout that left a third of the city without electricity on
one of the busiest days of the holiday season.
The power outage started just before 6 p.m. Saturday when a fire broke out
at a major Pacific Gas & Electric Co. substation.

About 120,000 customers lost power, including parts of Mission, North Beach,
Chinatown and downtown San Francisco, PG&E officials said. The outage forced
early evacuations at theaters and shopping centers, restaurants closed
early, and street lights stopped working, causing traffic problems
throughout the city.

Officials expected to have power fully restored late Sunday morning, said
PG&E spokesman Jonathan Franks. About 46,000 customers were still without
power at dawn.

Engineers had restored power late Saturday to about half of the affected
customers, but those customers were plunged back into darkness when workers
discovered the fire had not been fully contained and the substation had to
be shut down again.

The cause of the fire was under investigation, Franks said.

"There's no indication that it was vandalism or sabotage. As far as the
exact cause, we just don't know yet," he said.

xponent

Not Significant, Not Unexpected Maru

rob

-- Ronn! :)