At 07:18 PM 12/22/03, Robert Seeberger wrote:
Something I have been thinking about a lot lately is music with Science
Fictional and Fantasmal themes.

Offhand, bands like Pink Floyd and Hawkwind spring to mind immediately.
But I have been thinking that the band that has done the most and/or the
best with SF and Fantasy themes is Blue Oyster Cult.

So if we were pretending to give out an award for best SF&F song, album, and
group of the 20th century, I would (pending suggestions from others)
nominate the following:

BEST SONG:

Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult

After The Goldrush by Neil Young

Space Oddity by David Bowie

Homeworld by Yes (You knew I was gonna sneak them in there<G>)

Rocket Man by Elton John

'39 by Queen

Ramble On by Led Zeppelin

Come Sail Away by Styx

8 Miles High by The Byrds

BEST ALBUM:

In Search Of Space by Hawkwind

2112 by Rush

Diamond Dogs by David Bowie

I, Robot by The Alan Parsons Project

BEST GROUP:

Blue Oyster Cult?

Almost every album has a song or two that SF&Fnal. These guys must really
like SF&F. They even wrote some songs with Michael Moorcock (Black Blade is
about Elric, and is one ass kicking song.)
Some songs by Blue Oyster Cult:
The Red And The Black
Seven Screaming Diz-Busters
Don't Fear The Reaper
Godzilla
Harvester Of Eyes
Flaming Telepaths
Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
Workshop Of The Telescopes
Astronomy
Take Me Away

The Alan Parsons Project?

Puulease......Just look at their catalogue. Its virtually all SF&F!!!

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

I'd like to see some suggestions from others, and criticisms too

There ought to be a few limits too:
No Purple People Eater comedy type songs.
No instrumentals (Names are just too little to go on)
Songs or albums must have a distinct and clear reference to SF&F tropes.
(I'm including Horror as a subgenre of Fantasy, in case that wasn't very
clear. So Horror is fair game.)
And suggestions for BEST GROUP should come with some justification as to why
you think a band or artist is the best SF&Fnal group or artist.

Now I know I haven't come close to covering all the bases in this post.
So tell me what I missed and where I am wrong!!!!!!<G>

"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"?

Going For Completeness, Not Necessarily Quality Maru

-- Ronn! :)