I thought this was a humorous The Onion type article at first, but it
was actually very interesting. I suppose this could simply be explained
by better technology?

Gary

Scientists: Earth Travel Time on Schedule
Scientists Say Earth Is on Schedule in Regards to Rate at Which It
Travels Through Space

BOULDER, Colo. Dec. 30 - In a phenomenon that has scientists puzzled,
the Earth is right on schedule for a fifth straight year.

Experts agree that the rate at which the Earth travels through space has
slowed ever so slightly for millennia. To make the world's official time
agree with where the Earth actually is in space, scientists in 1972
started adding an extra "leap second" on the last day of the year.

For 28 years, scientists repeated the procedure. But in 1999, they
discovered the Earth was no longer lagging behind.

Complete article.....

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031230_1690.html