Hmmm.... they might be running low voltage/high amperage AC.  With
contemporary frequency controls, AC might be the way to control speed
and power.  Does anyone know whether DC still provides the most
starting/low speed torque?  Or have the variable frequency AC
controllers improved AC motors enough?

By the way, what is the maximum wattage for a typical car motor?  What
is average cruise wattage?

Robert J. Chassell

If you would have asked these questions three years ago when I was an engineer I'd have a ready answer. Now the knowledge has floated away, along with the access to sources. I cannot for the life of me remember the application or what the machine did but we were all impressed that it had a AC motor instead of DC. I know the one older tech was dismissive, while the oldest said it was about time. We did have a reflective sand dispenser that was controlled by AC. It was used in Europe, but we couldn't get it to function. It was clogging up too often, there'd be too much current draw and it would shut down.

One friend, that I only see three times a year, is an elevator installer/repairman. We had a talk last month (he knew all about the accident in Rob's hospital) and he said they are using AC motors now. Quick google:

http://www.pdlelectronics.com/articles/AB0899.htm

(ha ha, Schindler Lifts)

So if elevators use them...

Kevin T. - VRWC