<<http://www.needlenose.com/pMachineFree2.2.1/weblog.php?id=P720>>

Right-wing press bias goes mainstream

Speaking of the Iowa presidential debate, here's the lead paragraph of a
news article that just came off the Associated Press wires:

<<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/01/04/

politics1725EST0565.DTL&type=printable>>

"
For a brief time in their debate Sunday, Democrats seemed to be hewing to
a New Year's resolution to stick more carefully to the facts on taxes,
the budget and more. But old habits die hard.
"

To repeat, that's the lead paragraph of a news article. From the
Associated Press, the most mainstream source of news in the United States
-- where, apparently, it's now accepted newsroom policy to "objectively"
label all Democrats as liars.

And what constitutes a lie, in the view of the AP? Why, even true
statements, if they're uttered by a Democratic presidential candidate
like Howard Dean:

"
He said 60 percent of Americans got a tax cut of $304 from Bush --
revising a statement in an earlier debate that 60 percent saved $325.

Those cuts appear to be in the ballpark when it comes to the poorest 60
percent of Americans -- many of whom pay little federal income tax to
begin with.

But the independent Tax Policy Center has calculated much larger tax cuts
for middle income earners . . .
"

It's hard for me to come up with anything clever to say about the scope
of bias in this article. Seeing it come from a supposedly neutral news
organization -- and thinking about what it implies for the coming
election -- is simply appalling. It's like watching the death of
democracy in real time.

----
More AP spreading Right-Wing Propaganda as news this week.

--
I Pledge Impertinence to the Flag-Waving of the Unindicted
Co-Conspirators of America

 -Life in Hell (Matt Groening)