ritu wrote:

> Ronn!Blankenship forwarded:
>
> > ST. LOUIS Jan. 6 ­ Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized for
> > joking that
> > Mahatma Gandhi used to run a gas station in St. Louis, saying
> > it was "a
> > lame attempt at humor."
> >
> > The director of a U.S. center devoted to Gandhi's teachings said the
> > remarks amounted to stereotyping and were insensitive.
>
> There are just two ways for this to make sense:
>
> A] Gujjus run a lot of gas stations in the US....? Is that true?
>
> B] People think of Gandhi as a gujju first and an Indian second...? This
> seems kind of unbelievable to me but then I am sitting many a continents
> away.....
>
> Ritu, who had to read the article through twice and then think for 2
> minutes before guessing what might have caused offense....

Ritu--
        Good to hear from you on this.  (Now if I only knew what
a 'gujju' was...)
        Around here, most foreign convenience store clerks seem to
be Pakastani or Iranian.  But you know how bigots are, they usually
are not that picky about who they are prejudiced against.

                                        ---David

(Yes, it was a LAME attempt at humor.  But I'll still vote for
her again.)