bryon wrote:
> Since adoption has come up, I'll throw out a topic I was just thinking
> about:
>
> On my town's mailing list just recently, one parent of two adopted
children
> asked another poster to refrain from further use of the term "adopt-a-*"
> after she asked for donations for a Christmas "Adopt-A-Family" toy
donation
> charity.  He felt that using the word "adopt" applied in ways that were
> transient, trivial, and/or non-personal (ie: adopt-a-highway, "adopt this
> measure", adopt-a-stray, etc), would confuse his adopted girls and
undermine
> their confidence and security.  They might worry that their adoptions were
> also not a permanent or serious thing.
>
> My own take in this is that he would be better to teach the girls the
> distinction between the usages/meanings of the word adopted, rather than
> trying to restrict the uasge of the language and potentially making it
into
> a term that makes the girls wince or be offended when they do hear it.
>
> But then, I'm not an adopter/adoptee so I may not be properly sensitive to
> the issue.  Does he have a point?  Is using the word adopt in these
> alternate ways offensive?

I'm certainly not offended by "adopt-a-*" programs.  My folks never made a
secret of the fact that I was adopted.  They just made sure I knew what that
really meant.  Adoption is about choice.  It's about choosing to bring
someone into your family, as much as choosing to become pregnant and have a
baby.  It's about having this person for whom you have no legal or familial
responsibility, and deciding, volunteering, to take on those
responsibilities.

My parents are both hispanic Catholics, and they had both always dreamed
about having six kids.  After their fifth was born, Mom couldn't have any
more kids for medical reasons.  So they adopted me.  Basically, the way they
put it to me when I was very little was that I was a dream come true.

Most of the other uses of the adopt that you cite above, "Adopt-a-Family,"
"adopt-a-stray," even "adopt-a-highway," are about taking something for
which there is no responsibility forced on you, and freely accepting that
responsibility, choosing to take responsibility that is not otherwise
required of you.  I happen to think that no matter how transient that
responsibility, even if you are only taking responsibility to give a toy to
someone you don't know to make their Christmas a little happier for example,
what you are doing is admirable, not trivial.

But I guess I can understand why the person you are talking about is worried
about this undermining the confidence and security of his daughters.  He's
worried that they don't understand the difference between taking on a
transient responsibility and taking permanent responsibility.  The way my
parents handled this problem was to explain to me the difference between
decisions that can be changed and decisions that can't be changed.  They
told me that they chose me forever, not for just a while.

Even if the other people in your community stop using "adopt-a-*" for
various programs, these kinds of permanence issues are bound to come up for
this man and his daughters.  Some of those questions are inevitable with
adoptions.  Instead of looking at these programs as a trivialization, as a
threat to the confidence and security of his daughters, perhaps he should
look at the programs as another opportunity to reiterate and reinforce to
his daughters how much he loves them and is committed to them long-term.  It
sounds like he really does love them, if he's concerned enough to worry
about how these programs might affect them.  If he just keeps expressing
that love to them and reassuring them that his choice to make them part of
his family was a permanent choice, I don't think he'll have to worry too
much about how confident and secure his daughters will be.

Feel free to send part or all of this email to him if you think it's
appropriate, and feel free to give him this email address if he'd like to
talk to an adoptee more about this.

Reggie Bautista
[EMAIL PROTECTED]