At 01:13 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:
Vilyehm Teighlore wrote:
> > Or in Scotland you wake up with a blue ribbon tied

Debbi replied:
> I Dunno Wher Ya Bin, Milad, But I See Ya Won Firs'
> Prize! Maru    ;}

Funny this song should come up now...

There are a lot of different versions of that last line.  "I don't know
where ya bin my boy," "my friend," even changing the word order to "Lad (or
boy or friend) I don't know where ya bin...."

And oddly enough, the song was not written by a Scot, but by an American
folk singer named Mike Cross, born in Tennessee and raised in the
Appalachian mountains who took up guitar playing after giving up a college
golf scholarship to follow his girlfriend to the college of *her* choice.
He picks up the story there:

     We broke up when I was a freshman. I'd given up my golf
     scholarship and even sold my clubs, so I had to find something
     to replace them. I think that's why I took up the guitar. I needed
     a new passion in life.

http://www.mikecross.com/

By strange coincidence (yet another example of list synchronicity), I just
recently purchased a used copy of "Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection:
The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time."  The Bryan Bowers recording of
"The Scotsman" is the second song on the first CD of the two-CD set.

Reggie Bautista

The version I have has "Lad I donna know where ya bin...."

From that story I wonder if any his songs are about the power of P.

Kevin T. - VRWC
Insert joke about child of a goddess here