I never read the book, but ironically it came up as a
subject on Mediev-L list I'm subscribed to. It was
pretty heavily criticized as a crack-pot type
interpretation of history. The main complaints,
however, is that it did not follow standard historical
methodology, such as making conclusions from
unsupportable evidence, interpreting evidence out of
context, and more importantly, ignoring (or failing to
address) evidence that contradicts the main thesis of
the book.

Although occasionally advances in historical knowledge
can occur by "outsiders" (i.e. non-professionals),
more often than not these people have little to add
(and therefore would be fine for "pop" or introductory
history), or rather, lack training in methodology so
that their conclusions are twisted or unsupportable. I
liken it akin to if I talked about astronomy. I might
have a lot of information about it, and generally
could possibly even teach it, but any real new
discoveries (beyond finding comets and other stellar
bodies...I'm thinking more in the line of astrophysics
or new theories) would be beyond me because I lack
training in formal methodology of science and
Astronomy research.

Damon.

=====
Damon Agretto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
http://www.geocities.com/garrand.geo/index.html
Now Building: