At 10:00 PM 1/13/2004, you wrote:

> kneem posted
> EPA Works Out Secret Deal with Factory Farms
>
> Perhaps taking its cue from the Cheney Energy Task Force, the EPA has
> been holding secret meetings with the agribusiness industry this year,
> putting together a "sweetheart deal" with lobbyists to exempt factory
> farms from Clean Air Act and Superfund regulations

I don't know much about secret meetings, etc, but there has been a
moratorium on hog farming in NC for several years due to some
of this type of stuff.  (Lots of hogs 'round here)  There has been
concerns about hog lagoons, etc.  I know that NC State has been
doing joint research with the hog farms to try and clean things up.
There has been a 4-5 year goal on the project.
  I am not sure if it is related, but I heard there
has been some promising research that Ash (IIRC) trees are a
natural filter (for lack of a better word) when planted in proximity to
lagoons, processing the nitrates in groves of trees.  With all the
different things they were trying I think there could be lots of
options outside of just plain old "deal making".

Dee

Wasn't the problem in NC highlighted when there were floods down there a few years ago? Lots of the lagoons were overflowed, some washed away completely, spreading waste down stream. I know a few cases locally where the feds gave plans, money and contracted the jobs to build holding pools and they failed within years from poor design and construction.

Kevin T. - VRWC
Everyone wants their babe and eat him too