> "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snipping nearly all>

> As for inexpensive earth to orbit travel: there are
> two obvious ways to achieve this:
>
>   * A nuclear thermal rocket....The problem with
>nuclear thermal rockets is two fold.  Firstly,
>     the current designs always put some radioactive
> fission products
>     into the exhaust.  The impression I get is that
> the releases per
>     launch are less than a 1 GW coal-fired electric
> power station puts
>     into the air (from uranium dust in the coal that
> goes up the smoke stack).  But I don't know.

That would depend on how many rockets were launched
per year, but I daresay most countries 'downwind'
would not be pleased at such 'fallout.'

>     Secondly, some nuclear thermal rockets will
> crash.  That is
>     inevitable, just as some nuclear submarines have
> sunk.  Launch
>     trajectories can be designed so that not too
> much damage is done
>     by a crash; but people will worry.  How
> confident are you that
>     Russian or Ukrainian built vehicles will safer
> than the nuclear power station at Chernobol?

Not very much, no.

>   * An air-augmented chemical rocket....Of course,
>air-augmented rockets, like current
> airliners, put water
>     into the stratosphere.  Some have argued that
> this water is or will
>     upset the climate.  The US is covered with
> contrails, which are a
>     visible indicator of such water.  And over the
> past 30 years, people
>     have seen a decrease in the amount of measured
> sunlight in western
>     Europe.  (And maybe elsewhere; I don't know.)...

According to an engineer at a solar power station in
Arizona, yes: what I was told several years ago
[private communication] was a "noticable reduction" in
sunlight intensity reaching the panels.  <scratches
head>  The number I recall was 40% - which seems quite
absurdly high! - so perhaps it was 4%...?  Another
source of sunlight deflection in southern Arizona
would be air pollution; the brown haze over Phoenix
and Tucson can be truly appalling.  And when I worked
in Yuma, when the winds blew from the south during
agricultural burning/fertilizing, I could not only
feel & smell various contaminants, but over the
following weeks would see an increase in respiratory
complaints in the clinic.

Debbi
who wants to believe, but doesn't