--- "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I haven't yet commented on the 2004 Elections here
> on the Brin-L List.....

<snipped most>
> First, while the old cliche goes that you should
> never make the mistake of
> re-fighting the last election.... I think that
> cliche meets its maker this
> year, as the 50-50 nation holds and a very tight
> race ensues.    And since
> a Democratic blowout is nearly inconceivable against
> an incumbent with a
> solid economy, and a Bush blowout isn't any fun to
> discuss, I'm going to
> base the rest of my analysis on the assumption of a
> close race, and my
> general assumption of Dean as the nominee with
> someone like Clark or Bob Graham as the VP.

I also think that it will be a close race; having
learned a bit about Kerry I think he'd be a good bet,
but of course Dean does have that solid grass-roots
base. Clark as VP also makes sense to me.  I'm pulling
for 2 of these 3 to be on the Dem ticket (but can't
call it a prediction b/c I'm going with my gut ;} ).

And of course I'm for a Dem win...  :)

> CO - Next time around, a massive influx of Hispanics
> and suburbanites may
> make Colorado competitive, but for now Bush holds
> onto this core conservative State.

Probably so; however ~70,000 jobs have been lost
state-wide over the past 2 years (and since 1939 there
had been job growth or stability), and bankruptcies
were at an all-time high in 2003.  The forecast is
"modest improvement" in 2004.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_2566224,00.html
"...Economists and industry leaders say it's clear
that high-tech job cuts in Colorado have subsided
compared with 2001 and 2002, when layoffs flowed like
spring runoff and companies slashed hundreds of
positions in one swipe.

"The Denver area lost an estimated 13,000 to 20,000
net jobs in 2003, which is significantly lower than
the 40,000 net decrease in 2002...

"...And although the national economy is improving,
it's not bringing jobs with it. Employers added just
1,000 jobs last month, way below the 100,000 to
150,000 analysts expected.  And Colorado's
unemployment rate is at 5.6 percent, up a bit over a
year ago..."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_2508342,00.html
"...The forecast for 1.5 percent job growth in the
coming year will follow two years in which Colorado
actually lost jobs - the first time that has occurred
since the Bureau of Labor Statistics began tracking
such data in 1939..."

(This site has obvious bias, and their figure is
higher
-- 84K jobs lost in CO "since Bush took office" -- but
I include it for those who've heard the higher
number.)
http://www.ourfuture.org/docUploads/DENVER%20FINAL%20JOBS%20SHEET.pdf

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E33%257E1863913,00.html?search=filter
"Colorado residents and companies filed a record
number of bankruptcy cases in 2003, outstripping the
previous year's tally by 21.3 percent.

"Brad Bolton, clerk of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court's
Colorado division, described Colorado's jump in cases
from 21,260 in 2002 to 25,786 in 2003 as the highest
percentage increase in the nation.  He does not
foresee a repeat this year.

"For 2004, I do not expect the increase to continue to
accelerate at that pace," Bolton said. "It's not
conceivable. We are already seeing a leveling off."

"Several bankruptcy lawyers attributed the state's
jump in cases to a dramatic rise in personal filings.
Colorado's economy has struggled since 2000 amid job
losses, particularly in the telecommunications and
technology industries...

"..."Colorado's economy itself right now is lagging
behind most other states in terms of the recovery,"
said Tom Connolly of Broomfield law firm Connolly,
Rosania and Loftstedt..."

Debbi
who learned today that *another* person she knows is
getting laid off