<<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ca/budget/story/8191113p-9122383c
html>>

Cancer treatments cut Prostate patients on wait list

By Clea Benson and John Hill -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 2:15 a.m. PST Saturday, January 31, 2004

Dr. Mark Litwin got the call from California health officials the day
after Christmas: Money covering prostate cancer treatment for low-income
men had been slashed from the state budget. Litwin, a UCLA urologist who
coordinates the statewide treatment program, said he was told to stop
enrolling new patients immediately.
On Dec. 27, the program began turning away uninsured men who had been
diagnosed with cancer, placing them on a waiting list instead. This week,
Raoul Campos, a patient on the list, died of prostate cancer, Litwin
said.

Campos, a 54-year-old parking attendant from Los Angeles, had an advanced
case of the disease. But, said Litwin, "Certainly, with hormone therapy,
we could have delayed his death."

As debate heats up over Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget proposals to
cap and cut social services, the governor already has used his unilateral
authority to drastically reduce funding for some disease research and the
prostate cancer treatment program. And, like Campos, Californians already
are being affected.

The cuts were first approved in late October during the administration of
former Gov. Gray Davis -- 22 days before Schwarzenegger took office. The
new administration finalized the decision Dec. 22 -- more than a month
after Schwarzenegger took over. Recipients were notified in late December
that funds in this year's budget had been virtually eliminated, effective
immediately.

Schwarzenegger's staff blamed the cuts on the Davis administration.

"The budget levels and the policies were what we inherited when we took
office," said Finance Department spokesman H.D. Palmer.

But Steve Peace, who was finance director under Davis, disagreed. He said
the Davis administration delayed putting the cuts into effect so that the
incoming governor could reconsider them if he chose.

"It doesn't matter what was initiated when," Peace said. "They can change
things. ... It's totally in their hands."

Though Schwarzenegger said this week that he would soon release details,
both administrations have maintained months of public silence on how the
shrinking of the state bureaucracy has affected services. It remains
unclear exactly what the governor plans to make public.

Both have denied a request The Bee made through the state Public Records
Act for documents revealing the impact of cuts on the services the state
provides -- a category that would include the health department
reductions.

Under the Davis administration, the Department of Health Services in
November declined to answer The Bee's request for information on programs
that would be curtailed. Officials said all such detail had to come from
the Department of Finance, which also declined to provide information.

The cuts were enacted under new authority the Legislature granted the
governor last year to make budget reductions without lawmakers' approval.
Lawmakers authorized the governor to reduce general fund spending by $1.1
billion by cutting staff and operations.

The Department of Health Services, which uses some of the funds in its
personnel and operations account to pay for some contracts, elected to
cut contracts for the prostate cancer program and research on birth
defects, cancer, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis and other diseases.

Effects are widespread.

Dr. Richard Hector, director of an effort to find a vaccine for valley
fever, a fungal infection of the lungs, said his program had lost all of
its state funding of $750,000. Hector said the cut would hurt the Valley
Fever Vaccine Project's efforts to begin testing a promising vaccine in
humans.

The Improving Access, Counseling and Treatment for Californians with
Prostate Cancer program, known as IMPACT, lost about $4 million, leaving
it with $700,000.

Laura Baybridge, the administrator, said health department officials have
given her until next week to come up with a "worst-case scenario" plan
that would end all treatment by June for the roughly 300 men who are
currently enrolled in the program.

Among them is John Hood, 57, of Sacramento, a self-described "old biker
guy" and recovering alcoholic who cares for his 87-year-old mother. Hood,
whose cancer has metastasized, said he depends on regular hormone shots
to keep him alive.

"When I was diagnosed with this, literally my prayer was, 'Lord, just
keep me alive long enough to see my mom through, and then we can go,' "
Hood said. "The IMPACT program literally saved my life."

Palmer, of the finance department, said the state still spends billions
of dollars to help counties provide medical care to the indigent. People
who would have used IMPACT can use county health programs instead, he
said.

Jeannette Campos, the daughter of Raoul Campos, believes the IMPACT
program could have eased her father's last days. He had been treated
through the Los Angeles County health system, often waiting as long as 10
hours to be seen when he had an appointment.

"It was really tough," Campos said. "I honestly think that through IMPACT
it would have been different for him, because they do facilitate a lot of
things. If you have the right treatment at the right time, things can be
easier. I do not think my dad had that."

In addition to cutting funds for disease research and treatment, the
Department of Health Services also saved money by eliminating 582 of its
6,000 state jobs, said spokesman Robert Miller. It was unclear whether
any state employees were laid off. Some of the positions were already
vacant, and some employees whose jobs were cut were transferred to other
positions in state government, Miller said.

Peace, the Davis administration finance director, said he does not recall
the specifics of the health department cuts. But the administration at
that time was trying to minimize the pain of state worker layoffs, he
said, so that it makes sense that the Department of Health Services would
have proposed cutting contracts, and that the Department of Finance would
have approved it.

"It wouldn't surprise me," he said. "Everyone was trying to avoid
layoffs, so it was common for plans to diminish the money going outside."

Some legislators said they had not intended to sanction the elimination
of research and treatment projects when they gave the governor the power
to make cuts.

The governor "does have the authority to make midyear cuts, but we did
not imagine that he would end cancer programs," said Sen. Sheila Kuehl,
D-Santa Monica. "It may be that in our budget-control language this year
we may not want to give the governor the authority" to make such
decisions.

Sen. Deborah Ortiz, D-Sacramento, played a key role in establishing the
Cancer Research Program, which had its funding cut from $3 million to
$125,000. When the program began several years ago, it had a budget of
$25 million.

"There are certain things that ought to be protected from these cuts,"
Ortiz said. "It's really quite frightening and it's really quite sad
about California having this ugly standard and basically backpedaling
toward finding a cure for cancer."