> Agreed. I frequently quote from the KJV because a lot of people have heard
> the familiar passages from that translation, even if they're not very
> familiar with the Bible. Many experts will say that more modern translations like
> the NIV may indeed be more accurate, but there's something about the KJV that
> sticks in the mind and just sounds more "scriptural" than most of the later
> translations.

Well, as a Jew who reads biblical Hebrew (a little)

But as I'm sure you'll agree, very few people read even a little Hebrew. Similarly, very few people read much classical Greek, though some do read the New Testament in the original, also. (I have a textbook on classical Greek around here somewhere, but that doesn't mean I know much. During the third year I took of Latin we read the NT in Latin, and I still have it somewhere, but I wouldn't be able to just pick it up and translate now.)

I prefer to deal with the
original (sort of, since we're not exactly sure if what we have now really
was the original text of the Torah). The KJV has a LOT of mistranslations.

None of them are perfect. Which is one reason that I have several different versions available here, both hard-copy and on CD-ROM. FWIW, if anyone's interested, here's an on-line resource which has several different Bible versions in several different languages: <<http://bible.gospelcom.net/>>.

-- Ronn! :)