Kevin Tarr wrote:

<snipped some >

First questions: can a school make a kid smart? I think if she's a good enough parent the school shouldn't matter. I'm sure we could come up with a 3 x 3 truth table with good/medium/bad parents vs good/medium/bad schools and have percentages to see what matters more. Good parents and good schools won't also produce a smart kid but it will happen more often than bad parents and bad schools. It just sounded like she expected the school to do the work.

You should be interested in the millenium babies project by the Beeb. This is just one of the questions they are attempting to answer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/childofourtime/archive.shtml

Sonja :o)
GCU: Beeb docs rule