On 2/21/04 11:53 PM, "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm pretty excited myself.  The Yankees and Red Sox
> are definitely the two best teams in the Majors, but
> I'm not sure that the Cubs are far behind.  I have
> some questinos about their offense, but their pitching
> will be superb as long as Dusty Baker doesn't ride
> their young guns into the ground.

The tickets to get this year are for the following series: Yankees vs. Red
Sox and Cubs vs. Astros.  That's all you are going to need to know this
year.  The Cub's offense will ebb and flow throughout the year, as it always
does.  One just hopes it peaks at the right time.

> One note of warning.  Mark Prior was the most-abused
> pitcher in the Majors last year.  He has the best
> mechanics of any pitcher of his age ever recorded, so
> if anyone can survive that, he can.  Nonetheless, that
> would be my major concern if I were a Cubs fan.

We Cub fans worry about EVERYTHING, not just pitching.  I am a little less
worried about it now that Maddux has returned to the roost.  As one of the
best pitchers in baseball (other than Clemens) he may be able to teach the
young guns pitch economy, location, and speed change strategies.  If that
works out half as well as Cub fans dream about...well just the thought of it
makes me smile.

Ah the matchups....
Wood vs. Clemens
Prior vs. Oswalt