"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:

> At 10:21 PM 2/21/04, Julia Thompson wrote:
> >"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:
>
> Julia asked:  "Well, what if it's *not* going to be used by astronomers at
> an astronomical observatory [...] ?"
>
> Answer:  A person getting out of bed after a couple of hours or more and
> sleepily walking to the bathroom without turning on any room lights until
> s/he gets to the bathroom in order not to disturb anyone else who may still
> be asleep is probably at least as likely to select the wrong switch, and
> the resulting involuntary cry of "AAARGH!!" is likely to end up disturbing
> said other sleepers anyway . . .

I see.  I don't think it'll be *that* much worse than turning on the
regular light whose switch is right next to the unused one.  We don't
have dimmer switches in the bathrooms.

> >         Julia
> >
> >who can explain the unused light switch, really...
>
> Does that mean that you also have a story to share?

Well, when we were going over the wiring plans for the house, the
architect had indicated a switch for the light in each bathroom and a
switch for the fan.  Dan wanted the fans to be on timer switches.  For
some reason, the full bath downstairs has the correct number of switches
(2 different lights in there, 2 switches at one door, 1 switch at the
other door that just turns on the light over the sink) but the other 3
bathrooms have 2 switches, 1 light over the toilet and 1 fan powered by
the timer switch.  So in the two upstairs bathrooms, there's an extra
switch already there for the heat fan.

Unless *that* wants to be on its own timer switch, in which case the
interesting problem will be turning on the heat lamp when you really,
really needed the ventilation fan.

        Julia