At 05:10 AM 2/27/04, Kevin Tarr wrote:
1. Grab a calculator. (you won't be able to do this one in your head)

FWIW, I suspect that there are at least some here who are capable of performing the calculations below without a calculator (or even pencil and paper). (I probably would have started that way if this had been the first post I had read in this thread instead of Julia's analysis which confirmed what I immediately suspected the answer would be . . . )

2. Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the area code)
3. Multiply by 80
4. Add 1
5. Multiply by 250
6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number
7. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number again.
8. Subtract 250
9. Divide number by 2

Do you recognize the answer?

Kevin T. - VRWC
Slave to the grind

A question for the other mathematical types on the list: do most of you enjoy doing mathematical puzzles as recreation, or do you consider them kind of a waste of time and effort because you're not really coming up with something new or at least something applicable to a particular situation of interest to you rather than just "playing"? (I'm not sure if I'm putting this clearly: let me know if I need to clarify it.)

-- Ronn! :)