--- "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snippage>

>Also, if you look at the tips of your fingers and
>those knuckles closest to the tips, you will see 12
>of them on one hand -- so it is easy to count on your
>fingers.  While programmers never count on their
>fingers, over the past millennia, many other people
have...

http://personal.cfw.com/~clayford/finger.html
"Using fingers to perform math computations is known
as Chisenbop. Here's a site that will tell you all you
want to know. In the meantime, here's a couple of
examples of Chisenbop to get you started...Multiplying
by 9..."

Now _my_ recall of the name of this method was
Chismbob - which was nearly the name of my 'tuxedo
cat' (the woman who gave him to me wanted me to call
him Bob after her husband, but I gave her the choice
of Chismbob or 'Zimbobwe' -- thus Zimba joined the
household).  Lo and behold, there is indeed Chismbob
on the web:

http://www.eyrie.org/~drizzt/mylnh/tfw3-1.html
[Third section down]
Chismbob Boy strode proudly into the LNH lobby.  "I'm
here to be a Legionnaire!" he announced proudly.
Lester the receptionist looked up blandly.
        "Uh huh.  Isn't this a school day?"
        "Evil knows no tardy bell."
        "Alllllllright.  what's your name, son?"
        "I am Chismbob Boy -- when Evil needs accounting!"
        Lester sucked his teeth, staring at the dramatic pose
the skinny adolescent had assumed.  He pressed the
intercom.  "Master Blaster, Frat Boy,
Incredible-Man-With-No-Life to the lobby please."
        "Are they going to guide me in?  Kewl!"
        The summoned Net.Heroes burst into the lobby.  Lester
gestured a thumb at the garish hero-wannabe.
        "Ah!  Look out, guys. It's Continuity Champ's Tailor
Jr.!" quipped Master Blaster.
        "I'm, ah, Chismbob Boy.  Sarcastic Lad sent me to
join up."
        The three heroes looked to each other.
"Chismbob Boy?  Ahhahahahah!"  They broke out into
laughter so intense tears were flying.
        "Oh man, Sarc has the best one yet!" Frat Boy said
between guffaws.  "That's better than Lawn-Flamingo
Lass you sent in last week, MB."
        Incredible-Man-With-No-Life started waggling his
fingers.  "The answer is...10 to life!"
   "Sorry Clueless Master, it adds up to jail for
you!"
   "Beware, these fingers are weapons of math fu!"

Much, much, much more on-site...   ;)

Debbi
who still thinks that most folks, if they count on
their fingers, are gonna wind up with base 10