----- Original Message -----
From: "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: New Pentagon Papers Author

> --- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Technically, probably not.  But, do you think when
> > Republican leaders
> > accuse the Democrats of giving "aid and comfort to
> > the enemy" it is only
> > because they are going against the wishes of Bush?
> >
> > Dan M.
>
> Technically?  That's a pretty big difference.  We're
> not talking a small thing here.  I don't think Bush
> scripts everything every Republican says, no.

No, I don't either.  If Rush or Fox News or one congressman comes out with
a statement, I wouldn't attribute it to Bush.

But we both know that presidents have often taken the high road, while
designating other leaders in the party to play hard ball.  I really don't
think that statements made by the Senate minority leader, a cabinet member,
the White House communications director, and the head of the RNCC should be
looked at as anything but "on message"...especially if they come out
together.

Quotes from these folks have been posted to the list.  IIRC, at the time
your defense was that they were recent, understandable quotes in response
to irresponsible comments by Democrats.  When Doug pointed out that the
quotes were from last summer, the thread ended....at least that was my
memory.

All I am arguing for is the proposition that both Democrats and Republicans
have been irresponsible in overstating how evil their rivals are.  You seem
to be arguing that only Democrats have been.

Dan M.