Erik Reuter wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:39:42PM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:
> > I thought I was paying attention, but I think I'm lost.
> >
> > Anyone have directions?
>
> For the record, what I was really suggesting was NOT that John Doe
> forged the email with the MIME virus representation to make it look like
> it passed through the listmailer when it fact he actually mailed it
> directly to everyone on the list. No, that is clearly beyond John Doe's
> abilities at forgery. That part was a joke. That message clearly DID go
> through the listmailer, and I was just kidding with Nick, although I
> was curious about it. Nick suggested that the reason it got through the
> virus filters was because it was MIME encoded.
>
> Also, the email apparently DID forge the From: address, otherwise brin-l
> would not have sent it out. I guess the archive software shouldn't give
> the email addresses (even with @ spelled out) because then people can
> grab one, forge an email, and get the entire list to receive the spam or
> virus.

Aside from your "I guess" statement, I understood all *that*.  What I
didn't understand was the general apparent cluelessness.

Also, I'm so fried that's about all I *did* understand.  But thank you
to everyone who offered some sort of clarification for me.  :)

        Julia

need to get kids to bed, and then help hubby upstairs, then go scarf
down enough calories to make up for the lack I've suffered in the past
48 hours