----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: Winning the War on Terror

> Dan Minette wrote:

Cultural
> > Revolution.  Few died at Tienemin Square (sp).  Yet, the latter
> > reverbarates in world consciousness, and the former is pretty well
> > forgotten.  Thus, whether one sees bad things on TV is not a good means
of
> > judging the actions of various governments.
> >
> > My arguement is that there is tremendous evidence for Hussein's actions
> > being horrendous; not just bad horrendous.  Do you differ?
> >
> > That is a key point for me that you don't answer.  You are free to
answer
> > or not.  But, if there is dialog, then it is worthwhile for each of us
> > lay out our assumptions so we can see where we agree and disagree.  My
> > assumption is not that you are favoring slaughter, but  that you don't
want
> > to deal with the
> >

> The what?  Could you complete the thought?  Thanks.

Sure, sorry for the incomplete thought.

that you don't want to deal with the responsibility for deaths of innocents
one way or another.  But, I don't think we have that choice.  We are
responsible for what we could have prevented as well as for what we did.
The whole world bears some responsibility for Rwanda's genocide, because it
could have been prevented.  In some cases, like Tibet  we stood by for the
right reasons, the cost in human lives for intervention would have been far
heavier than that for standing by.  Our hands were fairly well tied in
Korea, because a war there would kill over 100,000 within a few days.  But,
we also bear responsibility for not acting.

I say that, even though I am not advocating an invasion of North Korea.
I'm merely advocating taking the responsibility for the consequences of
one's decisions.

Now, we can differ on the consequences; that's fine.  We can put forth
facts and analysis to support our differing opinions.  But, it would take
quite a bit for me to accept that there are no negative consequences
involved with not acting.

Dan M.