[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >David wrote-
> >Did Brin cover whether or not dittoes could be jurors?  On
> >the one hand, it seems as if jury duty would not be something
> >that actual people would want to do.  On the other, there
> >could well be legal issues involved.
> >

> I don't specifically recall, however it would seem that if
> there was a download every 24 hours that they could be
> performing jury duty.  Might be some rule on deliberating
> in person or something so a decision could be reached
> "quicker" (or it could be scheduled etc).
>
> Dee

        There would have to be an upload to the real person,
followed by a download to a new ditto, since otherwise the
jurors would not have "seen" previous testimony.
        And if the jury is sequestered, then the real people
have to be sequestered too.
        I don't know if the law would be able to force people
to upload from their dittoes.  From the book, I got the
impression that many people seldom let their dittoes upload,
particularly if what they had done was boring.  I guess you
could always give them a choice:  serve in person, or if you
use a ditto do it this way...

                                        ---David