----------
From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:06:23PM -0500, The Fool wrote:

Erik wrote:

> > For that to link with what I was suggesting, there needs to be a
> > correlation between faster metabolic rate and cell division /
telomere
> > shortening rate.  Is there?

> In either case telomere length is the determining factor for how long
the
> individual cell lives.

That does not answer the question.

> Insulin certainly affects the growth rate of fat cells.

Huh? What do you mean exactly by "growth rate", and what does that have
to do with whether a faster metabolic rate results in increased rate of
telomere shortening?

---

When you eat food it is converted into glucose, raising the amount of
glucose in the blood.  The Body uses that glucose or raises the amount of
Insulin in the blood which converts the glucose into fat.  Cells have
receptors for insulin, which allows them to regulate how fat is stored.
Metabolic rate is the rate that you burn calories, which is directly
related to blood sugar / insulin levels.  Muscle / fat mass affects the
metabolic rate.

Caloric-restriction directly effects the blood-sugar / insulin system.
The Methuselah mouse longevity is also affected by insulin levels.