There is an interesting editorial in today's Wall St. Journal.
Going beyond the short-term nailing of Kerry for flip-flopping on the
primacy of democracy or stability in Iraq, a much bigger case is
made.  Namely that we may be experiencing a historic reversal of the
parties.   Students of American history know that there have been
several times in history in which the parties of exchanged
positions.   This column argues that the party of "realpolitik" is
switching from the Republicans to the Democrats....

This is interesting as "realpolitik" has long been associated with
Republicans - and particularly Democrat criticisms for the way
Republican administrations cooperated with a great many extremely
unsavory regimes during the Cold War.   Nevertheless, I wonder if we
didn't see the beginning of this shift in the Clinton
Administration's very non-idealistic refusal to intervene in the
Rwandan genocide.  The reversal may now be complete as the
intervention in Iraq is one of the most idealistic-minded US foreign
policy actions in history, which is overwhelming favored by
Republicans and opposed (still!) by Democrats.

JDG

  http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110004987

Once upon a time Democrats were the great promoters of morality and
idealism in foreign policy. During the Cold War, those Democrats
included Harry Truman and John Kennedy, the latter most famously in
the aspirations of his inauguration speech to "pay any price"
and "bear any burden" in the cause of liberty.
"Realism" in foreign policy, meanwhile, has typically been associated
with Republicans, most recently with the first President Bush and his
National Security Adviser, Brent Scowcroft. This school of thought
attempts to run a foreign policy based on "national interest,"
narrowly defined. Moral causes are not their thing, while
dictatorships are fine if they don't threaten us.