Had a little insight the other day that seems relevant to our periodic how-to-have-a-reasonable-discussion discussions.

I've certainly been guilty at times of having to be right -- having a hard time letting go of an argument when someone else disagrees (and I just *know* that I'm right, which is part of the problem, of course). Until I gave it a bit of thought, I guess I assumed that the opposite of having to be right would be to allow myself to be wrong. While that's true in a sense, I've realized that the important opposite is just to *be* -- be who I am, just have my opinions, my point of view -- and let go of any concern about who you are.

Another way I've heard this idea expressed is that I need to practice being a *human being*, rather than following my natural inclination to be a "human doing."

And there we have it, another blow against narcissism.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Director, Business Intelligence Services