> Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, Yahoo is truncating messages again, so I can't
> quote Debbi.  Damn.  We appear to agree that the
> charges against the Bush Administration about
> mercury have been vastly exaggerated.

I'd disagree with the "vastly" - as I posted, "A close
examination of the [EPA] draft proposal,
however, reveals that by emphasizing a cap-and-trade
program, Leavitt was trying to deflect attention from
the heart of the proposal: It would downgrade mercury
from being regulated as a "hazardous" pollutant to one
that requires less stringent pollution controls. By
doing so, EPA's "cap" would allow nearly seven times
more annual mercury emissions for five times longer
than current law."

> think I'm being fair in paraphrasing her concluding
> thought by saying that she suggests that in the
> conclusion to my last message I was lumping together
> extremists and the mainstream environmental movement
> in talking about the banning of DDT.
>
> My rebuttal to that argument is simple - no one uses
> DDT anymore.  Basically no one in the world.  If
> it's only the extremsists, how come they won so
> completely?

Question: how does the US ban of DDT prevent any other
country from making it?

>  Everyone knew - without any doubt whatsoever,
> _everyone knew_ - that banning DDT would cause a
> massive spike in malaria worldwide.  It was
> nonetheless banned, and malaria did spike.  90+% of
> the people in the world who have died of malaria
> since
> DDT was banned _died because DDT was banned_. <snip>

Do you have a site handy for that figure?  (If not,
I'll try to find it at some point.)

Debbi