--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You chose to apply that to yourself, I didn't.  I
> certainly didn't mean
> to imply that you were responsible for 9/11 and I'm
> genuinely curious as
> to what line of thought led you there.

Well Nick, if you keep saying ignoring responsibility,
what am I supposed to think?

> I'm asking myself what my responsibility is, given
> that these things
> happened.  For example, I think that as a voter, I
> have my share of
> responsibility for anything my country does, good or
> not.  If we're
> feeding the hungry out of a sense of guilt, that's
> as inappropriate as
> abusing Iraqis out of a feeling of blame.

No, it's not.  That's moral vanity again.  The hungry
don't care why you feed them, they care about getting
fed.  That's what hunger does to someone.  Worrying
about the motives that cause people to do something
like feeding the hungry is the luxury of someone who
does not need to be fed.

> My problem with the media is that it focuses on who
> is right and who is
> wrong, who is winning and who is losing.

These are very important things in wartime.

> That's not
> the purpose of a
> free press in liberal democracy; I think it arose
> and continues only by
> virtue of a historical quirk, a time in which
> technology opened up
> extremely limited distribution channels for media.

Why not?  What is the purpose of a free press in
liberal democracy if it's not to discuss right and
wrong, if it's not to figure out who is winning wars
and who is losing them?

> I think it's naive to believe that big media doesn't
> ultimately align
> itself with corporate power, rather than any
> political agenda.

I think that's Marxist reductionism.  There are many
things more important in this world than economics as
long as you're comfortable - which reporters
overwhelmingly are.  I always want to ask people who
say that, for God's sake, have you ever _met_ someone
who works for the New York Times?  Maureen Dowd, for
reasons that entirely pass understanding, has the most
valuable printed real estate in the world.  If
corporate power can't get rid of her, what the hell is
it good for?

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]