If I am reading this correctly, the Pentagon has just admitted  that the
approved rules for interrogation in Iraq included violations of the Geneva
convention.  My source is today's Senate Armed Services hearing, where the
vice chairman of the joint chiefs and the assistant secretary of Defense
were questioned. It is described at:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040513/ts_nm/iraq_abuse_dc_51

<quote>
During a Senate Armed Services Committee (news - web sites) hearing,
Democrats confronted Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, the No. 2
official at the Pentagon, and Gen. Peter Pace, the No. 2 U.S. general, with
"rules of engagement" for interrogations approved by the top commander in
Iraq (news - web sites), Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez.

These methods included sleep and sensory deprivation, forcing prisoners to
assume "stressful" body positions for up to 45 minutes, threatening them
with guard dogs, keeping them isolated for longer than 30 days, and dietary
manipulation.

Sen. Jack Reed (news, bio, voting record) asked Pace if a foreign nation
held a U.S. Marine in a cell, naked with a bag over his head, squatting
with his arms uplifted for 45 minutes, would that be a good interrogation
technique or a Geneva Convention violation.

"I would describe is as a violation, sir," replied Pace, vice chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

"As I read Gen. Sanchez's guidance, precisely that behavior could have been
employed in Iraq," said Reed, a Rhode Island Democrat.

Reed later asked Wolfowitz a similar question. Wolfowitz initially tried to
sidestep it, but eventually replied, "What you've described to me sounds,
to me, like a violation of the Geneva Convention."

U.S. interrogation techniques have come under scrutiny amid revelations
that prisoners were kept naked, stacked on top of each other, forced to
engage in sex acts and photographed in humiliating poses.

Human rights activists have said the U.S. interrogation methods clearly
violated the Geneva Convention and a separate international treaty against
torture.
<end quote>

If this is true, then it is an extremely serious manner.  It would be
admitting deliberate, systematic, authorized violations of the Geneva
Convention.  That is not just the actions of a few bad apples. It seems to
me to be high level illegal orders.  I'll stand being corrected by someone
who better understands the military, but I cannot see how a general could
legally order his reports to delibrately violate a treaty agreed to by the
United States.

Dan M.