Gary Nunn wrote:

I ran across an interesting article about some homes being built in the
Netherlands that will float in a flood. I did a search and found quite a
few articles. I really wanted to find a webpage for the company that is
building these homes. It sounds like an awesome idea, especially for the
flood prone areas. I would say that this will be one of the few, if not
the only, long term urban development plan for areas like New Orleans
that are on the coast and below sea level where one good storm surge
could cause considerable flooding.

If anyone knows of, or runs across, the webpage of the manufacturer of
these house, please pass it along. I am specifically interested in how
they did the electrical and plumbing work as well as the general design.

The only REAL problem I think would be debris hitting the home as it is
floating.

Gary

floating homes....
http://tinyurl.com/2j4xk

http://tinyurl.com/22nd5

floating greenhouses....
http://tinyurl.com/322jj

An independent assessment of flooding in the UK
http://tinyurl.com/ywsc4

Google search....
http://tinyurl.com/2bxwx

In Dutch they are called "waterwoningen". The project mentioned in Maasbommel is this one,

http://www.goudenkust.nl/rustveilig5.htm Unfortunatly in Dutch. Let me know if you need help with translation.

They were building a number of vacation homes along the coast. The uniqueness of the concept was that normally these buildings are on a solid and not a floating support and only when there is a flood they become a floating home. As for floating homes in particular that's a very well established concept in The Netherlands. I remember something about the ones in Maasbommel in the news a couple of years back. Something to do with environmental concerns because of the location they wanted to build them in. Not sure. You can apply at the website for more info. The architects for the project are factor architecten in Arnhem http://www.ingburoarnhem.com/factor/projecten/recreatie/29921.htm

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Sonja
GCU: Service