The Fool wrote:

> ----------
> From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> The Fool wrote:
> >
> > ----------
> > From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > Deborah Harrell wrote:
> >
> > > While the numbers are smaller, the result of folate
> > > supplementation is reduction of spina bifida and other
> > > neural tube defects (SB frequently results in
> > > paralysis).  And the lack of iodine is potentially
> > > devastating, with mental retardation of varying
> > > degrees the result of prenatal/infantile deficiency.
> > > [I believe that "cretinism" was the former term for
> > > these unfortunate children; don't have the time right
> > > now but ought to look that up.]
> >
> > My handy dictionary tells me that cretinism is caused by a deficiency
> of
> > thyroid hormone during prenatal development.  (Not sure just how this
> > ties in with iodine, and my uncle is no longer alive to explain it to
> > me....)
> >
> > ---
> > Iodine regulates thyroid function.
>
> Thank you.  :)
>
> > Coincidentally Flouride interferes with thyroid function.
>
> I didn't know that.  All I knew was, a certain amount would help in
> tooth formation, but too much would cause teeth to be very dark.
>
> ---
>
> A tube of toothpaste can kill a child.  In fact I see no need for
> children without permanent teeth to use fluoridated toothpaste or
> fluoridated water at all.  Those teeth will fall out anyway.  Distilled
> water is the way to go.

Developing teeth in the gums need it.  I lived in an area where the
water was not fluoridated when I was young, and I was taken off of the
fluoride tablets prescribed for me when I was 10 or 12 or so.

A baby developing in its mother's wombs grab the fluoride it needs from
her.

I don't plan on using fluoridated toothpaste with any of my children for
awhile.  The oldest is eating the non-fluoridated fruit-flavored stuff
off the toothbrush sometimes.  I'm not using any sort of paste with the
babies, just brushing their unbroken gums every evening for them to get
used to having something in their mouths doing that sort of thing.
(They like it, too, especially if the teething has been making them feel
miserable during the day.)

> As far as I am concerned thyroid function is more important than tooth
> hardness.

Yes, but if you can provide just a little bit of fluoride to help with
the teeth and there's plenty of iodine in the diet, having both would be
nice.

        Julia