At 10:42 PM 4/29/04, Julia Thompson wrote:

But I'd much rather give my kid a magnifying glass than let him spread
the ant poison on the any of the 150 antmounds we have on the property.

If you do that (I am not making a recommendation here), just be sure it is a genuine magnifying _glass_, as many of the plastic ones I have experimented with¹ appear to not pass enough IR to get something¹ at the focal point hot enough to burn.

Of course, this introduces safety issues of its own, such as what may happen if he drops it on a hard surface and it shatters . . .

_____
¹FWIW, my experiments generally involved materials such as paper or dry leaves . . .

-- Ronn! :)