> Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Deborah Harrell wrote:
> >> [I think Dave:]

> >>...Of course, I have no idea if this is what he
> >>intended, but he's talking about the psychological
> >>concept of "thrownness," and he describes it
> better than many articles that purport to be /about/
> >>thrownness.

> > There's a term that's new to me...sounds like the
> > state one is in after being unceremoniously dumped
> >by a sneaky equine... ;)

> I think it originated with Martin Heidegger in his
> _Being and Time_. <sniplet> I remember that it
> is as much philosophical as it is psychological --
> it is in the area of
> personality theory. It's described in some detail in
> a paper at
> http://www.focusing.org/apm_papers/fox.html.

"There is an "it" which cannot be reduced to any
aspect of itself. It is rich with structure and can be
explored in a disciplined way (this is equally true
for therapy and for philosophy). Let us not make the
mistake of confusing the true fact that it cannot be
reduced to any aspect of itself, and that it is and
must remain indeterminate in the present-at-hand
sense, with the error of believing that therefore
there is no "it" at all."

<slow smile>
Soul, Self, String...The Unbearable Lightness Of
Being.

I'm surprised Madeleine L'Engle didn't toss this
concept into one of her books, considering the
physics/religion interfaces she threaded into her
stories.

Debbi
whose elder feline watcher looked suspiciously knowing
about this concept..."Thrownness" - good name for a
cat, although it would sound prettier in Polynesian