At 03:56 AM 5/18/2004 -0500 Gary Denton wrote:
>Rights are not decided by majority vote.  That is the purpose of the
>American system, particularly the judiciary.  If rights were decided
>by majority vote than minorities would always be in fear of
>majorities.

Actually..... in the United States three-fifths of the State Legislatures
have absolutely unchecked authority to establish or deny whatever rights
they want.

The voting level for "majority" may vary in other countries.

At any rate, in a de facto sense rights are very much decided by majority
vote.

Of course, the reason why this country has a "Right to an Abortion Whenever
a Woman Wants" and has no "Right to Life for Unborn Children" is because of
a majority vote on the US Supreme Court.

>It is unlikely that a marrriage once granted can ever be taken away.
>Would you agree that you were not married if a majority said you and
>your wife were too different?  It is also highly unlikely that a
>majority in Mass. will vote to take this away.

I have stated before that if by the grace of God I am fortunate enough to
marry some day that my appearance before a judge will essentially be a
piece of bureaucratic red tape in my life.   It is in this sense that
homosexual couples in the United States are already free to marry in
Unitarian Universalist congregations.

We'll see what happens when the Massachusetts Voters approve their
constitutional amendment in two years in order to tell those tyrants on the
MA Supreme Court exactly what the MA Constitution says.

JDG