At 01:57 AM 5/23/2004 -0400 Bryon Daly wrote:
>So you wouldn't care about losing all the legal rights and responsibilities
>that
>come with marriage, if they were denied to you?

I would be mildly annoyed, for sure.    But I would find ways to make due.
  My central point, however, is that this situation would have absolutely
zero bearing on whether or not I considered myself married.   In my mind,
my personal marriage will be a personal event - not a legal event.

>My take on this as a fairly long-term MA resident: I just don't think the
>amendment
>will be approved.   When the vote comes up, I don't think your activist
>judge
>argument is going to sway many people at all

Well, obviously we will see about that.   I would point out, though, that I
don't consider myself as having an "activist judge argument" in favor of
the Constitutional Amendment.   Rather, I have an "activist judge
conclusion" that these judges have done a very terrible thing if they have
legalized gay marriages for a narrow window of two years because despite
the Legislature and People of Massachusetts moving with all due alacrity
they cannot affirm that the Constitution of Massachusetts means exactly
what they have held it to mean for the past however many years - i.e. that
the Massachusetts Legislature may decide to create gary marriages, but is
not required to do so - in any possible shorter time frame.

At any rate, I think that fact that almost no politician of any
significance has yet endorsed gay marriages speaks volumes about the views
of the general electorate on this issue.  Again, we shall see....

John D.