http://www.ndol.org/print.cfm?contentid=252647

PPI, et al. | Speech | May 18, 2004
Remarks by Sen. Joseph Lieberman at a Forum on the Fiscal Crisis in the
United States
Forum: ''Restoring Fiscal Sanity -- While We Still Can''

By Sen. Joseph Lieberman

Excerpt:

Last month, the Medicare trustees made a shocking finding: currently,
the United States government has $72 trillion in unfunded liabilities.
That's right: $72 trillion. With a "T". That's a near incomprehensible
figure. It is almost seven times our current GDP, and twice the entire
net worth of the United States of America.

What does that mean? It means that the commitments to our fellow
Americans into the future, in the form of Medicare and Social Security
entitlement payments, outstrip our predicted revenue by $72 trillion. It
obviously puts those entitlements in jeopardy.

If the federal government were a business covered by ERISA, it would be
in violation of the law.

America's growing annual deficits, exploding long-term debt and
skyrocketing liabilities are converging with demographic trends to
form the perfect economic storm. Unless we take steps immediately to
end our current fiscal insanity, we will face unfathomable, impossible
choices -- slashing defense and homeland security spending; depriving
our children of quality education; reneging on our commitments on
Social Security and Medicare; suffering the impact of higher interest
rates; raising taxes sky high; or printing money to inflate our way of
excessive debt.

***

Rest of article at:

  http://www.ndol.org/print.cfm?contentid=252647