Let me gather some threads here and make a too long cloak.

This started when Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> objected to the term
Dark Ages which I had used as a jovial afterthought. He also objected
to my dates, the first dates I used being "Dark Ages" and later "the
fall of the Roman Empire" and the "Renaissance." No matter that he
does not believe in any of those terms I used them and so must be
using them as he with a degree in history defines: AD 476 and AD 1500.
 The fact that i disagree with these dates is immaterial.

I then agreed with him that the Dark Ages seems a misnomer, no Darker
than previous times, and agreed with him that the intellectual
Renaissance, which he doesn't believe in but he suggested a date
anyway, really had it roots in the 12th Century.

My agreements and agreeableness seem to bring forth longer
disagreements from him.

We had a digression into book burning which occurred earlier than this
period, which he implied he didn't believe happened and wanted
citations but then seemed to say "Oh, those books which the State or
Church needed to burn."  Maybe I should use his real words "Of course
such works would be suppressed."

Saturday he seems to write that a period of nearly four hundred years
is too short a time for a "lively literary and scholarly environment"
to develop under Islam in Spain but the two - three hundred years of
Catholicism must have been the roots of it.  ???  Perhaps I am
misinterpreting something there.  I'd better quote that:

Gary:
>  While some Greek knowledge was preserved in the Eastern Empire you
> are minimizing the importance of Toledo and Sicily when they fell from
> Muslim hands.  These both took place just before 1100 and most of
> Aristotle's work in biology. the Arab knowledge of alchemy, as well as
> much else arrived in Europe from these conquests.

Damon
>I am not minimizing these centers. However, again >look at your dates. Spain
>did not fall until 711, and by the late 5th C or so was >fully converted to
>Catholicism. Sicily not until more than a century later. >For there to be a
>lively literary and scholarly environment there must >have been something
>there to begin with.

I would say this argument is not only contradictory but also suggests
that it is too soon for most of the universities in America to be
centers of new knowledge and learning.  (I would like to agree with
him here but just can't even if we start redefining 'new knowledge and
learning.') I will point out that the Archbishop of Toledo after the
reconquest supported translating the Arabic works, my nod to the
church.  I also note Toledo and Cordova  were under the control of
Rome only by their recognition of Visigoth (Arian until 589) control.

Let me add a quote here:
"From Spain came the philosophy and natural science of Aristotle and
his Arabic commentators in the form which was to transform European
thought in the thirteenth century. The Spanish translators made most
of the current versions of Galen and Hippocrates and of the Arab
physicians like Avicenna. Out of Spain came the new Euclid, the new
algebra, and treatises on perspective and optics. Spain was the home
of astronomical tables and astronomical observation.... (Charles Homer
Haskins, The Renaissance of the Twelfth Century, p. 289)"

I had noted much earlier in this thread the 40,000 manuscripts in
Rome.  In the great library of Cordova alone, there were some 600,000
manuscripts. "Paper, a material still unknown to the west, was
everywhere. There were bookshops and more than seventy libraries."
(James Burke, The Day the Universe Changed) - recommended if popular
account of science moments and changes in knowledge.

To continue then, now that I had earlier agreed with him about there
not being a Dark Ages, Damon writes "that Europe was too busy trying
to survive to develop a lively literary or scholarly movement during
this period (specifically the so-called Dark Ages)."  ???

So a lack of literature and scholarship only creates a "so-called Dark
Ages", perhaps I should agree with him again and see how he responds.
Maybe I should just let Damon argue with himself.

Expanding on the Augustine debate he writes "In the fourth century
controversy had raged over the Church's policy towards classical
learning, but with time MODERATE VIEW proposed by ST AUGUSTINE
[emphasis mine] prevailed that 'pagan' learning should be tolerated as
long as it was kept subordinate to scripture and put to good Christian
use... <and more interesting stuff>" which is somewhat different than
what I wrote "I see no change after Augustine, it was not until around
the time of Aquinas that there was a change in attitudes toward
ancient knowledge."

So I believe he is arguing here that because Augustine believes that
not all "pagan learning" should be destroyed but only that which the
Church finds unable to tolerate or use the Church is promoting
learning during this time.  ???

Doesn't that support that the church was burning the books before then
and with Augustine improved that and they just started destroying
some? Lists of proscribed books started around this time as I noted
earlier in the thread.

I'll answer a minor point raised - I was redefining a Renaissance to
agree with Damon about the 12th century rise in scholarship.  Damon is
free with the term Renaissance, citing several of them, for one who
doesn't believe in them but stresses the continuity of, what he
doesn't define, I'll call 'whatever'.

My use of Totalitarian.

Gary:
> I do not blame the Church for the Fall of Rome but as a totalitarian
> creation that survived the fall of Rome it preserved knowledge it
> wanted, suppressed other knowledge, and let non-spiritual knowledge it
> was not interested in lapse.

Damon has objected more than once that the Church was engaged in a
struggle to survive and so "I disagree that it could summarily repress
knowledge."  Does Damon not think an authoritarian hierarchical
institution "struggling to survive" as he puts it, I could explore
this further here but let it go, might be less tolerant, not more, of
any ideas it disagreed with?

I agree before he objects that "suppressed other knowledge" needs
definition and could be overstated: that should be suppressed
histories, philosophies, ideas and literature that the Church opposed.
 The fact that Damon acknowledges it was attempting  imposing
"universal liturgy and ecclesiastical laws on its clergy" indicates he
acknowledges it was suppressing liturgy and laws it disagreed with.

Richard Baker chimed in against my characterizing the Roman Empire as
totalitarian in that "under Diocletian and his successors the Roman
Empire became increasingly hard to govern despite (or perhaps because
of!) the vast increase in bureaucracy. "

OK, it is not a Republic or a Democracy, would Richard  prefer
despotic or tyrannical if he objects to totalitarian?  I think some of
the features of a totalitarian government are the large bureaucracy
and increasing difficulty in governing.  There were no checks on
Imperial power and the Church was established and became the only
state religion under the Imperial system.  I do not argue that the
centralized state did not become weaker, just that the Church started
as a branch of a despotic/tyrannical/totalitarian/Imperial government
and it remained when the rest of the state broke up.  That their was
an influx of invaders and weakening of Imperial power is a given.

Richard also noted the strange way Damon stresses continuity and then
starts tossing around collapses, and I would add Renaissances.

At last this thread is now discussing history books.  C. Warren
Hollister is expected from Damon.  "Warren proposed simply doing away
with medieval history, suggesting a new periodization of Western
civilization: classical antiquity to A.D. 200; late antiquity,
200-1050; preindustrial Europe, 1050-1800; modern Europe, 1800-c.
2000; and finally the postmodern, postindustrial world." Marc Bloch
also takes the continuity of structures view and can be considered a
founder.  I don't know about Richard William Southern who I hear
argued that the eleven and twelve hundreds was perhaps the greatest
age of humanism.  Still I do like, in yet another point of agreement
with Damon, "Haskin's _The Rennaisance of the 12th Century_ is good
too"

Continuing to be agreeable I will second Damon's "history is an
interpretive and analytical art."

Damon interprets and analyzes Western History as "the church served to
preserve the cultural and intellectual traditions through
incorporation into spiritual learning" and the transition to
'whatever', after 1500, was "rather evolutionary stretching back
several centuries."

I interpret it as the Catholic Church suppressed histories,
philosophies, and ideas it was opposed to. This repression is opposed
to and slows new cultural and intellectual ideas. That more rapid
scientific advancement began when the Church did not have a monopoly
on the "truth."  I agree that this was evolutionary stretching back
several centuries or more.  I had agreed with Damon about the Dark
Ages being a misnomer, if he now says the "so-called Dark Ages" means
"no lively literary or scholarly movement" I might have to agree with
him again if I wasn't wary of his contradictions.

Gary Denton --  Agreeable Maru

#1 on Google for liberal news