http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/3801177.stm

"A man has won the annual Man versus Horse race for the first time in its 25-year history.

Crowds of spectators at Llanwrtyd Wells in mid Wales saw Huw Lobb pick up the £25,000 prize - until Saturday, one of the biggest unclaimed prizes in British athletics.

He completed the 22-mile course in two hours, five minutes, and 19 seconds.

Bookies William Hill had to pay out on scores of bets struck at odds of 16/1.

This year's contest had a record 500 runners and more than 40 horses and riders competing for the winning title."

"Every year, the prize grows by £1,000 and Mr Lobb scooped £25,000 for running the 22 mile race.

"The first thing that I will do with the money is buy myself some decent training shoes," said Mr Lobb.

"Then I may take myself off on some training holidays before taking part in some marathons in the autumn," he added.

Graham Sharpe, spokesman for William Hill, said : "This is a fantastic achievement which I have always believed could be done in the right circumstances."

The first horse home was Kay Bee Jay, ridden by Zoe White, in a time of two hours, seven minutes, and 36 seconds."

-- William T Goodall Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

Those who study history are doomed to repeat it.