> The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <<http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0609-10.htm>>
>
> A Chilling AMA Resolution: What Happened to the
> Hippocratic Oath?
> by Ralph Nader
>
> Unless cooler heads prevail, the American Medical
> Association is
> teetering on the brink of public ridicule, mockery
> and indignation.
> Resolution 202 has been introduced by Dr. J. Chris
> Hawk III from South
> Carolina to the AMA's Committee B. It is aimed
> directly at trial lawyers as patients.
<snip>

> "RESOLVED, That our American Medical Association
> notify physicians that,
> except in emergencies and except as otherwise
> required by law or other
> professional regulation, it is not unethical to
> refuse care to
> plaintiffs' attorneys and their spouses."

What a stupid - heck, even a donkey's behind is
smarter than that.  :P   And people wonder why I don't
belong to the AMA...?

Mind you, I think that there are plenty of unfair
lawsuits -- but there are some docs who ought to have
their licenses pulled permanently as well.  To harp on
a pet peeve: people make mistakes.  Redundant checks
work to minimize mistakes of consequence, but when you
remove those checks, frex substituting a medical
assistant for an R.N., you *will* increase bad
outcomes.

As for physicians leaving practices...when I was told
that I ought to get a woman's annual exam done in 15
minutes (less time than my vet spends with my cats), I
knew that insurance companies had trumped medicine.
(I just had the nurse schedule those exams before
lunch or at the end of the day, so I could 'run
over'....no wonder that particular establishment had a
lawsuit resulting from someone missing a brain tumor!)

Debbi
who is in consult mode from this am's case review -
could ya tell?!  :P